Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Houndman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2005
    Posts
    422
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

    Soaring numbers of American children are being prescribed anti-psychotic drugs -in many cases, for attention deficit disorder or other behavioral problems for which these medications have not been proven to work, a study found. The number increased from 8.6 out of every 1,000 in 1995 to nearly 40 out of 1,000 in 2002. Anti-psychotics are intended for use against schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses. What could be the long term effect of this use?
    Lives of great men all remind us as their pages o'er we turn, that we're apt to leave behind us letters that we ought to burn.-----Anonymous

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS S

    Anti-psychotic drugs are SERIOUS stuff guys.

    I would never, EVER, put my kids on them unless they really needed it bad.

    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

    OMG that is the same thing that I was talking to the psychiatrist that I work with about! you know if we teach children that it is ok to run wild and to not have any self-control, then what does that lead to when they are adults and have to be self-controlled? Also, what are the implications of giving children, whose brains are still developing, these drugs which influence the brain's production of neurotransimitters (which has been documented and studied) which will not resume because they were stopped so early on in development. I think that a lot of it is that kids have a lot more energy now, due to better health care and nutrition. The first things that get cut from the school budget are usually the leisure activities, such as gym or music, or art and kids have no constructive outlets for their energy, so how can they sit completely still in class? IMO one thing that affects it all is the discipline style and demeanor of the parents. If a child has never had any structure at home and when they come to school they struggle against that (a completely natural reaction).
    Seems like all that anyone wants anymore is a quick fix with no effort or thought put into it. That's one reason why I think that our society is going to hell in a handbasket.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Houndman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2005
    Posts
    422
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

    I agree with all that you said and I think you hit the nail-on-the-head. I am glad that I am not in a classroom of young kids that have taken these prescriptions.
    Lives of great men all remind us as their pages o'er we turn, that we're apt to leave behind us letters that we ought to burn.-----Anonymous

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

    All I got to say is that this stands true today and all the blame is placed on parents looking for the easy way and doing any parenting like our parents did.

    SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD!!!!!

    I don't think kids today have more energy than before, well they might have more to waste because they don't do anything to burn it off. Playstations and computers take very little energy. When we were young we came home from school and changed and went outside and played we didn't come in and get on the phone and ICQ and set in front of the computer because we might have missed something in the 20 minutes since we last talked to our friends at school.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

    Yeah I agree with you there....it just seems that we have become a society of complacency and that we are just content to sit back and only take an active role once we know that it is a last resort. IMO and through a lot of my work (working in therapy with families, who usually have children with behavior problems or parents who are heavy substance abusers) parents do not want to take an active interest in their children when they are being good, and the only take notice when the child steps out of line, so to speak. So it always amazes me that the parents are suprised that the child only acts out, instead of "behaving" because the child only gets attention when they behave bad. All behavior is purposeful.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: KIDS' PRESCRIPTIONS FOR ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS SKYRO

    US has a huge obesity problem among it's kids in schools, which will eventually lead them to health problems later in life.
    I read the other day where now kids may soon be put on BP medications, cholesterol medications and other medications as early as 13 yrs old.
    How scary is that. I can't take PE because i am on BP medication to help me with my weight problem, or until i lose weight and my BP drops?
    It's wild anymore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •